- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 40 sheets (1 box) frozen phyllo dough (such as Pepperidge Farm), defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the scallions. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill, eggs, feta, salt, and pepper and mix together.
Keep the phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel. Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo dough. Brush the sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process by laying a second sheet of phyllo dough over the first sheet, brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs until all 4 sheets have been used. Cut sheet in half length wise. Spoon 1/3 cup of the spinach mixture into the phyllo dough. Fold over and keep folding like a flag. Brush the top with butter. Place it on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the pastry and filling have been used.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Serve warm.